Our guest today is Michael Brooks, CEO of REALPAC. This organization is a trade association which Michael simplifies into four pillars: connect, advocate, support, and educate. Michael took a unique path to get where he is today; he even wrote and passed the Law School Admission Test with no studying.
With the term “smart city” becoming somewhat of a buzz phrase recently, Michael explains the different meanings this can have to various people. He describes what he sees in sustainability initiatives and shares victories at REALPAC that he is proud of.
Topics covered include:
- How Michael started his career and ended up at REALPAC.
- Concepts that REALPAC advocates for across Canada.
- The four pillars of REALPAC.
- Different definitions of what a smart city is.
- The Sidewalk Labs project by Google in Toronto.
- What ESG is and how REALPAC is promoting it.
- The bell curve of companies taking environmental initiatives seriously.
- Attracting better tenants because of sustainability.
- REALPAC’s approach to proptech and what Michael sees coming.
- Proptech that has impressed Michael.
- The first thing Michael would use capital on in a new building.
- Diversity and inclusion at REALPAC and in the whole real estate industry.
- Three advocacy wins for REALPAC that Michael is proud of.
- One change Michael would make to further enhance the industry.