Jeremy Wedgbury, Senior Vice President of Commercial Mortgages at First National, is today’s guest. He joins Aaron and Adam to discuss the state of commercial lending in today’s environment.
The guys talk about the recent volatile bond prices and what it means for interest rates, how lenders are responding and what we might see in the next quarter. They end off the discussion by examining how lenders look at elements of risk in the market and how property owners are making it work.
Topics covered include:
- How the mortgage market is responding to current bond price drops.
- An explanation of the yield curve and how it impacts the commercial mortgage market.
- The introduction of fifteen and twenty year term loans.
- Entering the real estate business at an inopportune time.
- The dominance of life insurance companies in the 1980s.
- Different ways that First National can structure a loan.
- The conservative Canadian approach to lending.
- The business platform of First National.
- The possibility of mortgage floor rates.
- Diversification strategies of mortgage investors.
- Market adjustments caused by current demand.
- Insatiable demand for apartments across the country.
- Supply as a solution for affordability.
- Challenges on the horizon in the retail space.
- Supporting secondary and tertiary markets effectively.