Recorded at the Land & Development Conference in Toronto, Brian McCauley is our guest in this episode. He is the President and CEO of Concert Properties. He practiced architecture in Vancouver before joining Concert as a consultant and then realizing that he wanted to move into development.
Brian gives insight on projects that Concert has taken on, including his thoughts on affordable housing. We hear about why Concert focuses their efforts on Toronto and Vancouver, along with the culture of the company.
Topics covered include:
- Why Concert decided to acquire land during the 2011 recession.
- Large projects that Concert is currently working on.
- Concert’s approach to affordability.
- The most important mindset attribute to have towards affordable housing.
- Why Concert chooses certain locations.
- Interesting buildings that Concert built and manages.
- How reputation plays into acquiring deals.
- Addressing the consequences of high-density living.
- Concert’s commitment to build better communities.
- How Concert attracts and retains new talent.
- Redesigning Concert’s buildings to encourage a collaborative workspace.
- Projects getting sidelined in the Vancouver condo market.