Podcast: Risk Management with Kevin Leon of Crestpoint Real Estate Investments
With us today is Kevin Leon, Founder and President of Crestpoint Real Estate Investments. Crestpoint is affiliated with the the Connor, Clark & Lunn Financial Group which operates several offices throughout Canada.
Kevin provides us with a deep history of how he got started in real estate, including his transition from working with CIBC into creating his own business. He shares Crestpoint’s approach towards managing risk and utilizing different types of loans, as well as the company culture that Kevin helped create.
Topics covered include:
- How Kevin got into real estate.
- Positive leverage and negative leverage.
- Kevin’s distinction of top sales broker in Canada in 1997.
- Starting a new investment firm with two other people.
- The approach Kevin received from someone who knew Kevin’s plan to start his own investment firm.
- The growth of Connor, Clark & Lunn Financial Group and Kevin’s first transaction as part of them.
- Securing debt during the launch of a venture in 2011.
- Crestpoint’s rationale towards debt and why Kevin has this perspective.
- Isolating risk to individual assets.
- Special cases of financial risk, including an example of an industrial building in Toronto.
- Interest-only loans and why Crestpoint sometimes uses this approach sometimes.
- What Kevin has created in the past ten years within the culture of Crestpoint.
- How Crestpoint employees spend time together outside of the company.
- What Kevin is doing to find opportunities to deploy capital.